Thursday, November 14, 2013

His Story - The Musical



I would like to take you on a journey through the music that has shaped this little boy/mans life throughout the years, be warned it is not for the faint of heart... actually it is, so you can deal. Expect a mixture of synths, acoustic guitars, raps and rhythms. Theres nothing more amazing than having a diverse taste in music.


Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You

Okay so you're probably thinking, obvious.. who has not got this gem on their lifetrack? What can I say? I have been listening to Daft Punk before this track popped its head back in the late 90's, but this was the one that made electronic music.. um... sexy, for me? The loin stirring vocals by Benjamin Diamond, overlaid on funk infused beats by the one-time-only team up of Alan Braxe and Thomas Bangalter (one half of Daft Punk), introduced me to the emotive aspect electronic music. Which is a very good thing.





Giorgio Moroder - The Chase (MIdnight Express)

Midnight Express is to me what Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was to some people, The story of student Billy Hayes getting sent to a Turkish prison for drug smuggling, was a new experience in terms of movie wise for me. Gone were the dreams of Never Ending Stories or Care Bear countdowns and in with the "shit just got real". Oh and then theres the Giorgo Moroder Soundtrack. This is the 13 minute mix of The Chase, so roll a fat one or drink a tea or just lie and watch the sky and enjoy the journey.  




Digable Planets – Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)

Hip hop was a diverse aspect of my childhood, going through the blah blahs of youthful maturation, tends to have its effect on a person, discovering a form of expression like rapping was an interesting funnel to let out the frustrations. True, I was not creating my own material but groups like The Fugees had enough to go around. Rebirth of Slick is the perfect example of authentic street hip hop from back in the gay... sigh...they just don't make them like they used to....




Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life

Yup this was my 90's rock song, we all had a few, but this one always got me singing my ass lungs out, apparently its about drug addiction or something, funny, just picture tweeny Matti singing unbeknownst to him about crack/meth... ha! Seriously tho with the family issues and stuff, lines like "I want something else" just hit the nail on the head. Hard on! I mean... Rock On!




Bongo muffin - The Way

Growing up in a musically rich country as Africa, I was bewitched by the township music that arose out of the apartheid era. I remember surprising the staff that worked in the kitchen at my dads restaurant, when I would burst into a Kwasa Kwasa dance, they were like; "haiybo! how the fuck does this small white boy know our jams??" The power of having an opened mind. It's not everyones cup of tea but fill my cup up yo, once again tho throughout the years the music has became diluted and crap by the fame machine, thank god we still have the memories and youtube :)



For a more mainstream feel check out Malaika - Destiny (It's in english)

Kylie Minogue - Get Outta My Way (BeatauCue remix)

Okay well obviously I'll have Kylie on here, she's been my girl for like over 10 years now.




Cut Copy- That Was Just a Dream / Zap Zap

Starved of something different than the just awful crap they played repeatedly on national radio, I finally got what I wished for when I moved into the city of Cape Town. My 3rd year of college was a blast, meeting lifelong friends and getting introduced to new audio pleasures. Cut Copy was like my gateway drug into the world of contemporary (lack of a better word) circa late 2000's electronic music. Soon enough Digitalism, the Vans She, then Kavinksy etc etc. This was the song that popped my Cut Copy cherry




New Order - Age Of Consent

If you were to ask me one of the things I regret growing up, its not listening to bands like New Order/Joy Division. I swear this is the music I will raise my kids on, they will love it, they will live it!




Irma Thomas - Breakaway

In recent years I found myself going back in time and discovering music made by legends, no bloody meat dresses or 3D movies in sight. just good solid music. nuff said.



Beach Fossils - The Horse

Not since New Order have a ever come across a band whose music has just covered my soul with melodic fused honey goodness than Beach Fossils. They give me hope that there is people out there who still care about music. Check out this fan made video for The Horse, which is my life song, yeah I said it, my life song, this is what I want played at my funeral.




And there you have it, but just a small taste un what music is playing around my life, I hope this post as touched you in many ways and that you have come to a life defining moment about yourselves, or at the very least grooved.

No comments:

Post a Comment